I had an arsenal of favorited websites on my workplace pc, and before I resigned I printed them all out with intentions to share them with a riveted audience (you). Now admittedly, some of these websites, when I view them with an emancipated eye? Dry as week old bread. I suppose if you're fully immersed in the world of design on more than a casual level they're possibly the shiny gossamer fancy new thing you've been looking for - so I'm going to share a few of my favorites with you. Not all, though, not yet! Mustn't share all my secrets in one day.
- Dezeen: This is a pretty, popular young thing that focuses on all facets of design, as well as employment and internships. They dig up some unique, innovative things, too - like this Ice Cube Chair made from recycled Pet plastic:
- Archi-Ninja: For architects and architecture students I'm sure this is a grail, for me it was a good source of daily industry news (along with Archdaily.com), contests, interviews with up and comers...It's one of those "dry" ones to me now sadly. I'd rather look at...
- Inhabitat: Probably my favorite among the design blogs, it's THE BEST "Green" Design blog out there. More humor than Treehugger, more interesting and "pretty" articles for the non-designer, I still visit it at least once a week. Their "Inhabitots" page is particularly worth scrolling through (eco-friendly design and products for kids) and their Link Roundups are always interesting, too: (Devo and Summer Dolls)
- A Daily Dose of Architecture: I don't even look at the articles on this one, and I'm sure they're well-written and informative. I'm not an architect, though so I simply enjoy the collection of links in his blogroll. It's the Colossus of a blogroll! It's keeps going and going and going all down the length of the page. Most are design related, some are arts related, most of them are just really good, solid sites. I tip my hat to you, Daily Dose of Architecture dude.
- Design Dust: Probably the simplest (like a mid-century modern lamp) out of my favorites, it actually was the first design site I looked at regularly. It introduced me to the big ones, like Design Sponge, Design Mom, Apartment Therapy, Black Eiffel, It's Nice That, and others.
- David Garcia Studio: This is by far my favorite design house I came across during my work-related browsing (I had to do a "daily update" with interesting links strewn about once a day...). Their body of work, from playgrounds to an Architectural Map of Antarctica is the very definition of innovation (and execution).